Genomics

Academics

Brandon

Posted on June 15, 2010

Brandon Waltz

Brandon Waltz

Department: Computer Science
Hometown: South Thomaston, Maine
Education: Rockland District High School '07
Wheaton MA '11

Superhero name: The Incredible Flamehead

What sparked your interest in genomics? I would say, all the work that Mark, Betsey, and Mike have done thus far. They have really made an impression on the academic community as well as on our campus as a whole. If you are a chemist/biologist or math/computer science person, you want to work on the Genomics project and get a slice of the action. Its just great to see a real-life application to our hard work.

Biology or CS? Biology….I don’t like computer science

Favorite Bacteria: wow...good question. I guess if I had to put a name on it, it would be Borrelia burgdorferi. This particular species is very puzzling and leaves me with many questions like, why does it have so many plasmids and why are the plasmids linear? Is it part of the mechanism by which B. burgdorfi switches antigens? Hopefully there will be further insights now that other Borrelias have been sequenced including B. duttonii, afzelii, garinii, and recurrentis....obviously.

Favorite quote you wish you could have said: “Picasso had his pink period and his blue period. I am in my blonde period right now.” —Hugh Hefner

Single Cell or multicellular organism? Multicellular, because that’s what we are….right?

What do you want the future of genomics to hold? Well I guess the most important goal I want someone to achieve from all this research is to find similarities (from the DNA) in single-celled organisms and in multi-celled organism to find what strings of a genome can be linked to problems in the human genome. That would be awesome, thanks.