Associate Professor of Political Science
Chair, Political Science Department
Ph.D., M.A. Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
M.Sc. Sharif University of Technology
Comparative (Western-Islamic) Political Philosophy
Politics and Religion in the Middle East
Pols 207; Classical Political Theory
Pols 227; Modern Political Theory
Pols 263; Politics of the Middle East
Pols 307; Freedom and Justice
Pols 337; Power and the State
Pols 347; Islamic Political Thought
Pols 357; Violence and Revolution
Pols 367; Politics and Religion
First Year Seminar; On Democracy
Senior Seminar; Conservative Political Thought
- Politics and the Criteria of Truth. Palgrave-Macmillan Press, 2010.
Articles in Peer-reviewed Journal
- “A Theoretical Component of Political Inegalitarianism in Perso-Islamicate Thought.” Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society.Forthcoming (2017)
- “Razi on Reason and Political Authority: A Study in Medieval Persian Political Thought.” Iranian Studies 2016, 49 (1): 29-56
- “The Unfolding of Unreason: J. Tabatabai's Idea of Political Decline in Iran.” With M. Boroujerdi. Iranian Studies 2015, 48 (6):949-966.
- “Adorno's Dialectical Realism.” Co-authored with Linda M. Alcoff. Symposium: Canadian Journal of Continental Philosophy 14, 2 (2010): 45-64.
- “Mirror for Princes.” Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World. Forthcoming (2016).
- “Razi’s Egalitarian Ideas.” Power and Identity, Studies on the Persianate World. Wydawnictwo Akademickie Dialog (2015), 135-164.
- “Metaphysics, Secularism and Cosmopolitan Democracy.” Co-authored with E. K. Soltani in Iranian Identity and Cosmopolitanism; Spheres of Belonging, edited by Lucian Stone. London: Bloomsbury (2014), 35-48.
- “On Sa`di’s Treatise on Advice to the Kings.” Co-authored with M. Boroujerdi in Mirror for the Muslim Prince; Islam and Theory of Statecraft. Syracuse: Syracuse Univ. Press (2013), 45-81.
- Yavari, Neguin. “Advice for the Sultan: Prophetic Voices and Secular Politics in Medieval Islam,” in Society for Contemporary Thought and the Islamicate World: SCTIW Review, (2015).
- Soroush. Abdolkarim, “Expansion of Prophetic Experience: Essays on Historicity, Contingency and Plurality in Religion,” in Society for Contemporary Thought and the Islamicate World: SCTIW Review, (2014).
- Kamrava. Mehran, “Iran’s Intellectual Revolution,” in The Middle East Journal 63, 2 (2009): 327-328.
- Roxanne L. Euben, “Enemy in the Mirror: Islamic Fundamentalism and the Limits of Modern Rationalism,” in International Journal of Middle East Studies 37, 1 (2005): 109-110.