English

Academics

Adam Ortiz '05

Posted on April 29, 2011

I currently work at Hampshire College as a student affairs professional. After graduating from Wheaton, I earned my M.Ed. in Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration at the University of Vermont.

I really enjoy my role as part of the student support staff and as a social justice educator at Hampshire. Within the past year, I've co-founded the group Men Against Patriarchy, published a chapter in a book about supporting multiracial students, presented at the nation's largest reproductive rights conference, and facilitated numerous workshops on the topics of race and socioeconomic class.

My interest in both student affairs and social justice education is rooted in my experience majoring in English at Wheaton. As a first-generation student, I learned a lot about race, class, gender, and sexual orientation through film and literary theory, and continue to use that knowledge in my activism and education. I credit my success at Wheaton largely to the support I received from faculty in the English Department, and appreciate having the opportunity to provide similar support to future generations of students.