College closing due to winter storm
Posted on January 2, 2014
Due to the winter storm expected to intensify this evening, Wheaton College will close most college offices at 3 p.m. today (Thursday, Jan. 2) and remain closed until 3 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 3.
Essential campus services and facilities will remain open. In departments that provide essential services, supervisors are responsible for coordinating schedules so that services continue. Non-essential personnel should not report for work during first shift on Friday.
Public events scheduled for Thursday evening or Friday have been cancelled, with the exception of the women’s basketball game at Emerson Gymnasium at 3 p.m. today. Our team's 9-0 record will be on the line as they tip off against Roger Williams University (7-1).
To enable clearing campus roads, paths and parking lots as quickly as possible, the college will institute its snow removal plan at 4 p.m. today.
All vehicles should be parked in Lot 4 (Meadows Lot) along the wooden fence parallel to the grounds shop, or the new section of Parking Lot 3 (Pine Street) along the wooden stockade fence (adjacent to Keefe Field). All other parking lots will be closed as of 4 p.m. These include:
- Lot 1 (Faculty/Staff lot in front of Clark Recreation Center and Nursery School)
- Lot 2 West Section (Faculty/Staff/visitor section in lot along East Main St. opposite YMCA)
- Lot 6 (Faculty/Staff lot behind Balfour-Hood Center and adjacent to Science Center)
- Lot 7 (Faculty/Staff lot to left of Haas Athletic Center)
- Lot 8 (Faculty/Staff lot to right of Haas Athletic Center)
- Lot 9 (Faculty/Staff lot adjacent to Science Center loading dock)
- Lyons Den lot and the Bookstore Lot
- Parking areas located at Bittersweet, Lindens and Elms Dorms, 5/7 Pine Street, 46/48 East Main Street, 7&9 Howard Street, 42 Howard Street, 44 Howard Street, 20 Taunton Avenue, 26/28 Taunton Avenue, 34 Taunton Avenue and 9 Taunton Avenue.
- All vehicles parked along Howard Street should be moved to one of the open parking lots, no later than 4:00 p.m.
Any vehicle parked in closed lots, and that hampers emergency snow removal efforts, may be towed to an off-campus location, at the owners expense.
Updated information will be posted as necessary.