Computer Science

Academics

Nathaniel Hunt ’13

Posted on April 3, 2012

Class of 2013
From: Cumberland, RI

Did you come to Wheaton knowing you wanted to major in Computer Science?

I had no idea I wanted to be a CS major when I came here. I took Storytelling through Computer Animation with Mark and was pretty much hooked from there. I tried out Comp 115 and 116 and those classes persuaded me that the major was fun and interesting, so I followed through with it. I also liked music, so I decided to major in that as well.

What has been the most interesting class you've taken in the Computer Science Curriculum?

The most interesting course I have taken has probably been the independent study I am doing currently with Tom. We are working with an Xbox Kinect to read in data and display the sensory information using LEDs. It's a lot of fun, and it's a great way to use new technology to create something awesome. Hopefully this project will be on display soon for all students to see and interact with.

What is your favorite programming language and why?

Tough choice. It's definitely between C++ and Python. Python for its simplicity and ease of use, and C++ for its ability to give the programmer many options. I think if I had to pick a favorite it would be C++ because it is a great language that allows the user to have lots of control. Plus I am more comfortable with it, so that helps too.

What are your plans for after graduation?

I haven't thought about this in detail yet, but my plans are to hopefully get a job as a computer scientist somewhere... It would be nice to get a job that involves both computer science and music since those are my majors. For now though, anything will do.