Computer Science

Academics

Christopher DeMolles '13

Posted on April 3, 2012

Class of 2013
From: East Bridgewater, MA

Did you come to Wheaton knowing you wanted to major in Computer Science?

I knew from the start that I wanted to major in computer science. I first learned to program in Visual Basic when I was about 12 years old and I instantly loved it. Ever since then, it has been my passion to go into computer science.

What has been the most interesting class you've taken in the Computer Science Curriculum?

The most interesting class I have taken so far I would say is Computer Organization and Assembly Language. We take for granted that we can program in python or C++, but how is it that the computer, which only understands 1's and 0's, knows what to do with that code? I find it fascinating to see what is really happening all the way down to the binary level.

What is your favorite programming language and why?

I would say my favorite programming language is C++. I have programmed in several different languages and one of the things I like about C++ is the ability to manage your own memory and use pointers. Not being able to manage your own memory can be a real disadvantage. For instance, this past summer, I developed a windows phone application using Visual Basic.NET for the research department at the VA in Boston. Since Visual Basic.NET uses garbage collection, there is no way to manage your own memory, so it presented some real challenges writing an application for a system with such limited memory.

What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation, I hope to get a job developing software. I have always been very passionate about it and I would love the opportunity to write some real applications for a company.