Computer Science

Academics

Stephanie Antetomaso '12

Posted on April 1, 2012

Class of 2012
From: Woburn, MA

Did you come to Wheaton knowing you wanted to major in Computer Science?

I'm not even sure I can remember what I wanted to major in as a freshman. History maybe? Certainly not Computer Science. We didn't have any sort of CS courses in my high-school so I hadn't even considered it. The course that got me hooked into the department was Intelligent Systems with Professor Armstrong. It was touted as a CS class for non CS-majors so I ended up coming to the department from a linguistic perspective - I wanted to learn more about the language processing capabilities of computers.

What has been the most interesting class you've taken in the Computer Science Curriculum?

I've really enjoyed all the classes I've taken in the department (although not always so much the night before a big project was due...), and I've had a good mix of theoretical and practical classes, so that has always kept things interesting. The entry-level classes are obviously invaluable in terms of giving you a basis to work from. Computing for Poets is great for those who are undecided, since it demonstrates applications of Computer Science in the humanities, but it has a large enough focus on coding to remain interesting to CS majors. Theory of Computation is a great class on the more theoretical side of the department - understanding the concepts was often more challenging but also more rewarding than in any other class I've taken.

What are your plans for after graduation?

Well, its all a little bit up in the air. Ultimately, I'd like to go to graduate school for Computational Linguistics. For next year, I've applied for a Fulbright to the University of Tartu in Estonia to work on research with the CS and Finno-Ugric Linguistics departments there, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.