Career Services

Academics

William “Billy” Colasante ‘12

Posted on November 19, 2010

My interest in sports medicine. In 2010, my summer internship was at Central Maine Orthopedics in Auburn, Maine.  In this role, I had the opportunity to shadow many different doctors in the clinic and observe patients' treatments, including surgery and follow up appointments.  I have always had an interest in sports medicine and this experience allowed me to see the entirety of patient care in a clinical environment.

My internship search. When I learned of the summer funding available to me as a Community Scholar, I knew I wanted to intern with Central Maine Orthopedics. After meeting with Sheila Dvorin in the Filene Center, I contacted Central Maine Orthopedics and made the necessary arrangements to spend the summer working with them.

What I learned. The doctors and staff at CMO were great to work with and allowed me to observe all areas of patient care. I also was able to learn that a career in medicine is something I want to pursue. I am hoping that what I learned this past summer will allow me to make comparisons to eastern medicine techniques, which I will be studying this coming summer on the Traditional Chinese Medicine program with Professor Tong.