Anthropology

Academics

Alumni Update: Sarah Cressey '13 Making it Happen in Maine

Posted on February 28, 2014

After graduating Sara Cressey ’13 began her work  at Portland High School where she is the coordinator of Make It Happen, an academic support and college readiness program for refugee and immigrant high school students for whom English is not the first language.  Sara works with about forty students, meeting with them individually to go over their grades, link them to academic coaches, works with them to complete college application and financial aid forms, and helps connect them to service opportunities with a range of NGOs in the greater Portland area.

What does she like most about her work with AmeriCorps?

“Although I value the management experience that I am gaining as a result of this position, my favorite part of my job is sitting down with students, getting to know them, and helping them in any way I can. I’ve brushed up on my Algebra and Geometry skills, helped write poems, and even gotten to whip out my rusty French to help conjugate some verbs. My students are vibrant, dedicated, and although they are terrible at remembering everything from permission slips to meeting times, they are a pleasure to work with. I truly believe that they are teaching me as much or more as I can impart to them.”