Anthropology

Academics

Alumni Update: Megan Tibbs Americorp's National Civilian Community Corps

Posted on April 30, 2013

After graduating from Wheaton, I was accepted to the Southwest campus for Americorp’s National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC). I flew out to Denver, Colorado, where I had a month of training then got placed in a team. My team’s first SPIKE (what we call projects) was in Crown King, Arizona, which is a tiny gold mining town twenty-six miles up a dirt road on top of a mountain. My team worked with a local volunteer fire department clearing brush to create defensible space around homes to protect against forest fires. It was great! I have never been to a place like Crown King before. Main Street consisted of a church, the general store, the fire station, and a saloon! The people were great, and the general store sold the best fudge and gave us free samples every day!

A month later, we went back to Denver for a week of debriefing, briefing, and training. Our next SPIKE was in Freeport, Texas, working with the Boys and Girls Club, an afterschool program, and local schools. During the day, I worked as a librarian that an elementary school.

My team’s next two SPIKES were in New Orleans, building houses with Habitat for Humanity. We met all kinds of interesting people and learned to lead volunteers and build houses from the foundation up! Unfortunately, our last SPIKE was during the summer, so it was hot and humid, but still fun!

After NCCC, I applied to another AmeriCorps program, this time a state and national program based in North Carolina called TEACH Early Childhood Corps. In this program, we are assigned to a nonprofit childcare center in North Carolina, where we assist with the daily activities in the center and provide release time for teachers on the TEACH scholarship to go back to school to further their studies in early childhood education.

I also went back to school and received my North Carolina early childhood teaching certification. After spending some time with my family, I returned to North Carolina. I am now working at the Jordan Child and Family Enrichment Center, where I was posted as an AmeriCorps member last year. Americorps NCCC was and amazing program, and I really felt that we were making a difference.