Anthropology

Academics

Internship: Pratit International in Kolkata, India

Posted on November 1, 2011

As a recipient of the Davis International Fellowship, Claire Rowell '12 traveled to Kolkata, India, to intern with Pratit International, a small University of Pennsylvania associated non-profit that seeks to target issues of poverty at the health, educational, and community levels.

As part of her internship, Claire supported the set-up of medical clinics, ran educational sessions, and did on-site surveys, interviews and field work in three slum communities in Northern Kolkata.

Reflecting on her experience, Claire writes that "most of my time was spent interviewing patients and community leaders, collecting larger scale surveys, and interviewing local politicians to broaden Pratit's analysis for implementing community sustainability. Not only did I engage in on-site field work on slum conditions and sustainability, my focus within urban Anthropology, I also became familiar with these sustainability issues from a public health angle, a perspective specific to the clinical experience I gained through Pratit International."