Anthropology

Academics

Internship: 2011 American Anthropological Association Summer Intern

Posted on July 21, 2011

Juliana Bennington '12 interned in the inaugural year of the American Anthropological Association's Summer Internship Program in the summer of 2011. She was one of two interns selected from around the country to develop their knowledge of the association and skill in the discipline. After interning with the World Health Organization in the Spring of her Junior year, Juliana split her time at the AAA main offices and at the International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) in Washington, DC.

Reflecting on her choice of internship experience in the association's blog, Juliana writes:

"It was during my time in Geneva that I first heard about the internship opportunity with the AAA.  I received emails from nearly all of the anthropology professors telling students to apply to this new program.  After reading through the description of the gender internship, it seemed like a perfect opportunity for me.  I have mostly focused my study of anthropology on health and violence.  While there is much overlap between my academic focus and the internship, I was excited to be able to look at the issue of violence from a non-health perspective."

In Washington, Juliana supports the analysis of the International Men and Gender Equality Survey (IMAGES), a comprehensive household questionnaire on men’s attitudes and practices – along with women’s opinions and reports of men’s practices – on a wide variety of topics related to gender equality.