Anthropology

Academics

A Passion for International Health Care

Posted on January 10, 2011

A Passion for International Health Care

Sarah Hudson  (2006) discovered her passion for work in the field of international health during her undergraduate career as a dual major in Anthropology and French at Wheaton.  During her junior year abroad (and the summer thereafter, funded by a Davis grant for overseas research) Sarah studied indigenous social movements to eradicate FGM (female cutting) in Mali, West Africa.  Her language skills afforded her rare access to former FGM practitioners whose perspective she incorporated into her senior capstone thesis.  Now Sarah is working on a degree at Boston College Graduate School of Social Work, MSW (Clinical) with a concentration in Global Practice.   She writes, “My program is great; I just finished all of my coursework and am getting ready to head to Ethiopia next semester to complete my internship hours before I graduate in May.  After that, who knows?  I will be working with the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in a refugee camp in northern Ethiopia, working with staff around issues of mental health self-care, supervision of workers, and other support/resources.  It is sure to be intense, challenging, and rewarding!”

Read more about this innovative international social work program:  http://www.bc.edu/schools/gssw/academics/msw/curriculum/gp-concentration.html