Anthropology

Academics

Anne Galvin studies the relationship between development, violence, and popular culture in Jamaica

Posted on December 7, 2010

Anne Galvin ’93 spent a year and a half in Jamaica conducting fieldwork for her Ph.D. in Anthropology at the New School for Social Research (2006).  She recently published an article in Anthropology News based on her research into the relationship between community development, organized crime and popular culture.

Read more about what drew Anne into studying Anthropology.

What made you decide to become an Anthropology major?

“When I started taking Anthropology classes I found that they resonated with the kinds of political and activist commitments that I was developing.   I remember particularly reading both fiction and ethnography in the course, ‘Women in Africa’ and realizing that with Anthropology it was possible to come at a problem from many different directions.    Coming to Wheaton in general, given the kind of sheltered background that I had, helped to expose me to many different ideas and points of view.”

You have been teaching in the Sociology and Anthropology Department at St. Johns University in Queens, New York since 2008Do you think that your Wheaton education has found its way into your own teaching?

“I think I try as much as possible to re-create the kind of discussion-oriented classes that I found so valuable at Wheaton.  I never felt that we were spoon-fed answers, but instead we were led to puzzle our way though a problem and to learn to think on our own.”

What advice would you give to the current generation of Wheaton Anthropology majors?

“Take advantage of all the opportunities that you have available like studying abroad.  Don’t let anything or anyone stop you.”