Many Wheaton students complete summer school work or college-level work at other institutions while on leave of absence from Wheaton. The process for earning Wheaton degree credit for this work is outlined in the College Catalog and on the Application for Transfer Credit Form available in the Office of the Registrar.
Students should plan to seek prior approval for courses taken elsewhere if they expect to earn transfer credit. Not all college-level courses may earn Wheaton College credit and the amount of credit will be determined by a calculation. The calculation is based on the course credit in relation to the credit required for the degree at the host institution. Whether these courses are taken to make up lost credit or as a way to accelerate their program, these are the rules to follow to obtain Wheaton degree credit:
- Credit will transfer from ANY regionally accredited degree-granting school of higher education.
- Studens can transfer credit from international schools, but they require careful evaluation and approval from the Center for Global Education.
- The Chair of the appropriate department at Wheaton must review ANY course that the student wishes to transfer back to that department here at Wheaton. Application for Transfer Credit Forms are available from the Academic Advising Center or from the Office of the Registrar. Students should then meet with a Wheaton Department Chairperson to review the course description and secure their authorization that the credit may transfer back to Wheaton prior to attending the class.
- Transfer credit may NOT be used to fulfill the Social Science, Arts and Humanities or Natural Science Divisional requirements but may be used for major requirements, Foreign Language, Quantitative Analysis or Beyond the West requirements, with prior approval.
- Wheaton does not accept credit for courses that are shorter than three weeks in length.
- For credit to transfer, the final grade must be AT LEAST a C.
- Only credits transfer, not grades. Transfer courses have NO impact on a Wheaton GPA or Wheaton Academic Standing.
- The amount of credit you receive depends upon the credit system of the OTHER institution. The calculation is based on the earned course credit in relation to the credit required for the degree at the host instituion. This calculation may result in an award of fractional credit.
- As a general rule, Wheaton College will not accept credit in transfer for courses completed exclusively as "on-line" courses.