Foreign Language Placement Tests
Students who intend to continue studying a particular language at Wheaton must take the appropriate placement test. Wheaton's language departments use placement tests to determine the appropriate course for each student.
The placement tests in French, German, Italian and Spanish are available now. Instructions for taking online placement tests are available below.
The Latin and Greek placement exams are available at CORE (June, August, January)
For placement in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese and Russian, consult directly with the instructors listed in the Course Schedule for the appropriate courses.
What Is Needed to Take an Online Foreign Language Placement Test?
- a connection to the Internet
- your Wheaton College ID# (use a lower case "w" when entering your ID)
- your Wheaton email password
- a valid email address or telephone number (this information will enable us to contact you)
When Will the Online Tests be Available?
The tests In French, German, Italian, and Spanish are available now.
How Long Does It Take to Complete a Test?
The tests vary in length, but the average time is between 20 and 60 minutes, although you may take as much time as you need. While taking the test, keep in mind that you are now a Wheaton student and that you are subject to the Wheaton Honor Code. You should take the test(s) without using books or reference materials and without the help of another person.
How Do I Take an Online Placement Test?
Please follow the instructions below to take an online placement test:
1. Go to Wheaton's OnCourse site. We recommend using Firefox v.12 or greater. But you may also use Chrome v.11, Safari v.5, or IE v.10 or greater.
2. Log in. Your username is your Wheaton ID (ex. w00012345) and your password is your email password.
3. Click on the link to the placement test you want to take, and on the next page, click on the "enroll me" button. This will bring you into the test site; it does not enroll you in a language class.
4.) Read the test instructions carefully and then click on the link to take the test.
What If I Have Questions?
If you have any questions or problems regarding access to online placement tests, email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a reply in one business day.
If you have other questions about general course placement or the foreign language requirement, please consult with Academic Advising at email@example.com or 508 286-8215.